The Koroit Hotel - fondly known as Mickey Bourke`s - was established in 1853 by Scottish carpenter and pioneer David McLaws, who built a two-storey bluestone hotel with large stables erected at the rear.
In 1869 an assembly room was added to be used for concerts, dances, lectures, auctions and other public meetings. In 1877 he sold the land and buildings to a local state parliamentarian, Robert Bruce, who altered the exterior of the hotel by rendering the bluestone walls with plaster and rough cast.
In the early part of the 20th Century the subsequent owner, JF Duffus - also a state parliamentarian - commissioned a leading architect to remodel the exterior in a spectacular Art Noveau style, known as the "Menzies of the Bush".
Upon Duffus' death in 1922 the hotel was sold to Edmund (Neddy) Bourke and so the famous Bourke tradition began. The hotel earned an outstanding reputation under the management of Neddy's son, Michael, and remained in the family until 2000, when it was bought by current owners Bruce and Wendy Murley.
The Murleys have breathed life back into the walls of the old pub and it is now the centre of the annual Lake School of Celtic Song, Music and Dance, the Koroit Irish Festival, St Patrick's Day and has links with the Port Fairy Folk Music Festival.
The hotel is now one of the area's most famous landmarks and is recognised for its historic features.
It now offers lunch and dinner seven days a week, regular live entertainment and TAB facilities.